Wednesday 15 February 2012

V and I have never celebrated Valentine’s Day, making it the only holiday I don’t go absolutely b.a.n.a.n.a.s over. It seems almost redundant in a way because we give each other so much love all the time. Yes, it’s enough to make you dry heave from all the cutesy grossness. It’s the greatest happiness in my life to have found this one girl, oceans, personalities and ways apart, that somehow just fits. The feeling of missing someone at the end of the day, the excitement when I hear her car pull in the driveway, still, after almost seven years and the feeling that things have never been better. She brings me my laptop and coffee in bed before I even wake up so I don’t have to get out of the warm bed to grab it. She cleans the snow off my car in the morning and surprises me with little gifts and cute notes and pumpkin spice tea at work. She lies on my side of the bed to warm it up at night while I wash my makeup off. She tells me every day how much she appreciates me often while rubbing my feet or how lucky she is to have me, as she brings me a glass of wine in the bath. A couple of days ago she got mad at me for not going all the way into town to see her on her half hour break and at the end of the day it’s been almost 12 hours since I saw you! she was tired and cranky but it was my favorite argument. Not to say there aren’t hard days, we got to this point by working towards bettering our relationship, and of course there are times where we can’t stand to be in the same room and doors are slammed and tears shed and there are long silences interrupted only by cutlery scraping the food off a plate of dinners consumed in separate rooms. But usually, and more often than not, the silences are broken with fits of laughter and I’m so sorry I don’t even know what the hell I acted like that for!, we are best friends, each other’s biggest cheerleaders and more in love than I ever would have hoped for. I feel infinitely adored and so spoiled already that a day like Valentine’s seems no more than a reminder of what I have every single day. I puked a little in my mouth writing all that but there you have it!

We got to spend the evening with friends in a small sauna in the middle of nowhere with a sky so full of stars it was hard to breathe. And to top it all off we got an amazing lightshow as the northern lights decided to make a special appearance and dance up a storm, making the sky a bright green, stunning colour. Perfection.